Prominence

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Meade LXD55 10" SN goto problems

Started by Astronomer2b, 11/03/2002 02:22AM
Posted 11/03/2002 02:22AM Opening Post
I just got a LXD55 10" SN about 3 weeks ago and i am having touble with the goto. I bought it used from a club member so i know it works because he showed me. But when i do a Polar alignment (rough, just putting polaris on the crosshairs of the polar scope) shouldnt that be good enough to get an object in a 26mm EP? I do a 2 star alignment and got a Success message, then i told it to goto m27 but it wasnt even in the eyepiece,so i found it and then i synced it, the told it to goto m57 which is really close, it wasnt even in the eyepiece still, so i found that and synced it. THEN i went BACK to m27 and it STILL wansnt in there so i synced it again, and i did this 1 more time and it didnt get any better. Any reason as to why it doesnt work correctly?
Posted 11/11/2002 04:07AM #1
Matthew I don't know if you figured out your goto probs. yet, but just curious as to whether or not you went through the drive "training" routine first before attempting to use the goto? If not the manual explains this easy process which is done on terrestrial objects in daylight. Unmentioned in the manual is a smart way of proceeding. Start this process with your widest view eyepiece and repeat the process a couple or so times using progressively higher mags on the terrestrial targets. This gradually increases precision in the goto mode. If you haven't done this the goto pointing accuracy will be off-way off?

Also when in the "polar home position" assuming your lattitude\altitude adjustment is correct, you can move the dec. axis (unlock and move tube)to center polaris in an eyepiece. Once centered, lock axis and rotate the dec. circle to read 90 degs.

Good luck as the LDX55 goto is a kick to use.

Wayne Vignes