My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Help! 210 questions

Started by richardm123uk, 01/04/2008 07:41PM
Posted 01/04/2008 07:41PM Opening Post
Hello All,

This is my first post to the Astromart forum. I was hoping if anyone can answer my questions. I am considering buying a Mewlon 210 (would like the 250 but it is out of my budget at the moment) and a goto eq mount.

My current setup is a LX90 8” EMC and a couple of Naglers.

My question is how different will the views be through the 210 compared to the 8” LX90. I am 99% a visual observer but would like the option to dabble in astrophotography in the future. My general observing is planetary and Nebula.

My second question is what is a good goto mount for the 210. I am thinking $2500 and under (preferably under).

Thank you in advance for the advice. I think my main issue is that as the 210 has similar aperture to the 8” Meade, I do want to see a reasonably significant upgrade in image.

Cheers,
Richard
Posted 01/05/2008 12:02AM #1
Depends on what your LX is like. And what you are referring to as far as "better". This was my personal experience with similar situation. I had a superb C8. I rated it perhaps at 1/5.5 or better ptv at the ep. Perhaps 1/6. I was trying to be conservative, but I know it was better than 1/5. It was also perfectly collimated which is critical for SCTs. Now my buddy that I observed with ALOT had a 210. The 210 was subtly better on doubles, and planetary contrast. Deep sky was subtly better as well, but I had an old orange uncoated C8.

Now another gent that we observed with alot had a M10. The 210 blew it away on stars and planets and that was cooled and collimated as well. The M10 was obviously better on deepsky due to aperture. I also owned 2 C11's that would not compare to the 210 or the C8 for stars/moon/planets. I had both my C11's cooled and collimated at ultra high mags.

So if you have a mediocre SCT, then the 210 would handidly outperform it. If you have a truely Diffraction limited 8, then I think like me you will see subtle difference. For me, it was hard to justify the 210 price difference.

Good luck,
Kevin

Posted 01/05/2008 12:14AM | Edited 01/05/2008 12:14AM #2
I can say that my Mewlon 210 blows my 8" Meade LX200 Classic out of the water.

I have never seen a steady view of stars through my LX200. With the M210, stars were a lot steadier, and (though this is a faint memory, as I have not used my M210 in a while, being more of an imager than visual) the Double-Double was a clean split.

A more recent view through the M210 (around February '07) had it resolving the E component of the Trapezium without breaking a sweat. The F component was even winking in and out. I've probably seen the E component of the Trap once with my LX200. And even then it was winking in and out.

OTOH, my particular Mewlon (I bought it used, so this may be a factor) seemed to need almost daily tweaking of collimation, compared with the LX200 which just stays and stays.

Eric