Image of the day

Captured by
Craig Bobchin

Coathanger CR 399

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Mount considerations

Started by macjohnsos, 02/03/2004 03:01AM
Posted 02/03/2004 03:01AM Opening Post
Hello,

I recently acquired a Sky90 and am pondering which mount to purchase. I initially only have visual intentions but eventually want to do some astrophotographic work. While the EM10 has been on my mind as a likely candidate, I'm actually considering stepping up to the EM200 for possible future expansion. My question is, has anyone piggybacked a Sky90 or similar on, say, a Mewlon 210 or even a 250 atop an EM200? Is this feasible or just asking for trouble in terms of stability or otherwise?

Thanks!
Scott
Posted 02/03/2004 02:21PM #1
Yes, it works fine. You can use the Juraplate to mount them side by side.

Art Ciampi
Posted 02/04/2004 11:54PM #2
Thanks both for your replies. The further upgrade to an NJP adds an additional concern which is weight. I need to also think about portability as well (at least until I move out of an apartment and buy some property in the country where I can build my own observatory smile. If the EM200 can handle my needs, as Mr. Ciampi suggests, then it seems the way to go. If not, perhaps a smaller mount for the Sky90 to start with and then a larger mount when my needs change is another option.

More to ponder!

Thanks again for your responses.

Scott
Posted 02/10/2004 09:13PM #3
Once again my thanks to everyone who responded to my initial post. After lengthy deliberation I have elected to go easy on the wallet for now and, especially since I'm going for portability and visual work for the time being, I have decided upon (and ordered) an alt-az mount (Teegul with Lapides modification).

Once my wallet has recovered from the purchase of that and a few more accessories I will most likely purchase a Mewlon 210 with EM-10 or EM-200 mount (haven't decided if I really want or need the Temma GoTo option). Eventually I will want to setup for an observatory but that's a long way off at the moment--I still have to find the proper location!--so I think this setup will work best for me for now.

Now I only await my new alt-az mount and clear skies!

Regards,
Scott