M1 Crab Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Televue 102/which mount to buy

Started by arossi, 04/19/2003 07:41PM
Posted 04/19/2003 07:41PM Opening Post
Hi, I am going to buy a TV 102 and don`t know which mount to buy. Living in Vienna/Austria/Europe the mounts are very expensive. Losmandy GP 8 with Goto goes for 5.500,-- dollars and GPDx with sky sensor goes for 3.500,--. Any ideas for me? Best regards Alexander
Posted 04/20/2003 06:22PM #1
Alexander:

After much thought, I've also decided to buy a TV102 (in another month or two). In the mean time, since I plan it solely for visual use, I've purchased a Televue Gibraltor mount. ($600 here in the states.) Eventually, I plan to buy the Skytour digital setting circles. So, if you're thinking of using it primarily for visual use, the Losmandy or Vixon mounts might be overkill.
Posted 05/02/2003 03:35PM #2
I have the TV Gibraltar mount with Skytour. It's a great mount, but if you enjoy high-power lunar and planetary viewing, I would choose something else. It's motions are just not smooth enough, and trying to follow objects as they drift across the field becomes an exercise in frustration. The scope must also be balanced perfectly, which can get annoying if you change eyepieces frequently. For low to medium power viewing, though, it's very satisfying.
Posted 05/25/2003 06:57PM #3
Andrea from Italy here.
I used to use a CG11 but then I had to sell it because of a relocation. Then I bought a TV102. I used it some on an alt-az thing. Then on el-cheapo equatorial, a la C5.
You could tell the optics where great but ...
Then I bought, used, a Vixen GP-DX with a SS2000PC. It's awesome. The complete setup, a 7 amp battery included, can be lifted with one hand, at least I can, and it's small, light, sturdy, has the goto ability and works well. I wouldn't go back an inch from here. I don't do any imaging on film, just some occasional web cam work on the planets and I am happy of that too.
If you don't need the goto you could go cheaper and buy the drive controller.
Or you could buy a Synta/Star Watcher HEQ 5.
Enjoy your TV102 and write me an email if you want.
Posted 09/07/2003 01:29PM #4
when you say visual use what does that mean? thank you sammie