Captured by

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Nasa unveils Hubble's successor

05/14/2007 12:00AM

Nasa unveils Hubble's successor

The US space agency Nasa has unveiled a model of a space telescope that scientists say will be able to see to the farthest reaches of the Universe.

Comments:

So, just an idle question for any of you really optically knowledgeable out there: what is the impact on diffraction of a segmented objective like the JWST has? Both the ID and OD are far from circular and lines across the mirror face have to count against it. Any clear thoughts?<br><br>Other than that I expect they will actually bench test this one before it goes up.<br>Best-
Last year our local club had two engineers from Brush-Wellman (who are making the mirrors) give a presentation on the JWST. They said it will have adaptive optics on each cell. I can't remember all the details, but it seemed at the time that they had their bases well covered. Wish I could be more helpful.

• IGastaldo [Ivan Gastaldo]
  • 05/15/2007 05:56AM
What IF anything goes wrong with it, while in space?<br>They make such a fuzz about fixing the Hubble, being so close to us, can you imagine if anything goes wrong with this one, being so distant?<br><br>It looks VERY promising indeed, I surely hope it will be a RELIABLE piece of technology, or it will be a floating WHITE ELEPHANT...<br><br><br>We'll see.... 8)
  • drachal [Darian Rachal]
  • 05/15/2007 06:21PM
Ivan, I <i>think</i> you can forget about a repair mission to this scope. When did Apollo 17 end?

This is a picture that I took last Saturday when it was in Washington DC
  • ansupal [Ansuman Pal]
  • 05/15/2007 09:55AM
Sorry Harold, where is the picture? :S

• lescher2 [Les Chambers]
  • 05/15/2007 09:38AM
Just a reminder: r2/2R. ;-)<br><br>Les

After listening to all the buzz about the new scope, I can't help but wonder what bees that size will think when they come back and find their nest is in outer space. Honeycommmmmmmmmmmmb! Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!<br><br>Jess Tauber

Isn't it true that this telescope will image in the infrared and not in the visible part of the spectrum? That will give incredible views into the 'dust' and into the early universe but will be lacking in visible resolution and detail. <br>...correct me if I am wrong. I surely would like to see a big visible spectrum instrument up there too!
  • aloha [Wei-Hao Wang]
  • 05/15/2007 04:31PM
The HST is a powerful visible instrument.

The HUDF was able to peer down to 30th magnitude and get nice color images of thousands of primitive galaxies...but this new scope..being roughly 3 times the diameter and placed in a better location, how deep do you think its possible of seeing? It should definately give us some better pics of pluto before New Horizons even reaches the planet im sure..