Just charge $1 per ad

Started by timmbottoni, 11/20/2005 06:22PM
Posted 11/20/2005 06:22PM | Edited 11/20/2005 06:23PM Opening Post
OK - maybe this is crazy, but the way Ebay makes money, and lots of it, is to just charge for every ad that gets listed. Doesn't matter whether its a "For Sale", "Wanted", "Auction", or whatever. If 50 ads a day get placed, thats over $18,000 a year.

I have no idea what the economics of this site are, or what is worthwhile to keep it going, but it seems to me, that if you place an ad, you should pay for it somehow.

Now regarding FREE email accounts, well thats simple, just make everyone who wants to use a free email account provide a credit card with a one time access charge of $12 to be able to post, reply, answer an ad, etc. If you can't afford $12, then you shouldn't be here.

OK - Everyone who hates me or this idea speak up. If you like the idea, speak up too. I have only bought and sold a few things here, but I see people who really use this site a lot, and really need a way to buy and sell used gear, so its obviously worth it to many to have this site stay viable, and the only way I see that happening is with money.

Timm
Posted 11/20/2005 06:53PM #1
How about an "Astromart use fee" payable with CC with a verified address!
I don't do many ads here but I live in the forums and would hate to see them go. So I would be willing to pay for the service.
Posted 11/20/2005 08:31PM #2
Timm,
Seems fair enough to me.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 11/21/2005 04:52AM #3
"... people who really use this site a lot, and really need a way to buy and sell used gear, so its obviously worth it to many to have this site stay viable, and the only way I see that happening is with money."

=========================

Not dissagreeing, but folks will just move the buying and selling to eeek-bay. It's where the whiners and hooligans who violate here take their business now.

I do relatively little buying or selling. But I support Astromart. I also promote it to others not familiar with it.

The modest retail purchases I have made recently have been, and will continue to be, with Anacortes exclusively.
Posted 11/22/2005 10:16PM #4
I'm new. I visit every day and read select forum posts. I check the classified for a reflector near enough to go pick up, but I'm not really quite ready to buy yet. I had decided to buy here or at Anacortes. I LOVE this site.

So when Herb decides what to do, I will pay. If Herb decides to keep it as is, I will become a supporter. I don't want to lose this resource. The few contacts I have made here in answer to my questions have been courteous, thoughtful and knowledgable.

Bob
Posted 11/22/2005 10:43PM #5
Herb, as many have mentioned, we need to find a solution to the problem of raising enough money to keep Astromart self-sufficient and not depend from ATWB for monetary support...

There must be a way to establish a system so that everybody can contribute to keep AM alive... and you must make a decision so that this does not become YOUR problem... (it has been this way for quite a while now, but you know it is time for a change in the way things are being done money-wise)

We (the ones that love AM) are very concerned & worried not only about AMs future, but also about your wellbeing... so, whatever you decide you know you can count on us...

Ivan
8)

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator