Yellow Pine Warbler

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

8x50 Finder - A little help please

Started by DaveKG, 08/20/2005 02:13PM
Posted 08/20/2005 02:13PM Opening Post
Got a little help a couple of weeks ago as I look for a new finder. I am continuing the quest as I look for something with long eye relief so that I can wear glasses while viewing. I'm looking for right angle correct image in an 8x50 or 9x60. Thus far, it looks like Stellarvue and University Optics are the front runners, as well as one made by Russell Optics. All are a little pricier than what I was hoping for, but I haven't found other options at this point, and they don't seem to show up in the classifieds much. One significant different in the specs - Stellarvue claims a near 7 degree FOV and UO puts theirs at about 4.5 degrees. How big of a deal is this? I would love to hear from folks with hands on experience with these finders. Recommendations from this list or others?
Posted 08/20/2005 02:50PM #1
Dave,

Antares sells an 8X50 with about 7 degrees FOV also. Some with illuminated Red Dot.
I'm using an Antares on one scope and it's nice. Got a SV finder, haven't used it yet though so can't comment.

Orion makes some erect view finders and have an easy to adjust bracket. You might check them out as well.
Posted 08/20/2005 03:02PM #2
Hi Dave
You might check out the Orion 9x50 RACI, they should be a good bit cheaper than the others but the quality I doubt is as good. But then its only a finder. I have one and while it works fine without glasses, I did try it with my glasses up against the eyepiece and it does work but I cannot see the entire FOV, maybe 4* to 4.5*.
Buck
Posted 08/20/2005 04:25PM #3
I have the Stellarvue and it is great! I can use it easily with my glasses on. It is also compact and comfortable, and well built. It has greatly increased my telescoping enjoyment. I can't imagine being without it now.