North America & Pelican Maped color

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Astronomik filters

Started by Larry Seguin, 07/05/2005 07:13PM
Posted 07/05/2005 07:13PM Opening Post
These have been out for a couple of years now, I understand, but there's relatively little that's been said about them. Have any of the guys out there A/B'd them against Lumicon, and you're willing to render a judgement?
I'm wondering if they're worth pursuing, or is one premium brand pretty much as good as another? Thanks in advance for any input!
Larry Seguin
Taos, New Mexico
Posted 07/05/2005 07:45PM | Edited 07/05/2005 07:55PM #1
Larry Seguin said:

These have been out for a couple of years now, I understand, but there's relatively little that's been said about them. Have any of the guys out there A/B'd them against Lumicon, and you're willing to render a judgement?
I'm wondering if they're worth pursuing, or is one premium brand pretty much as good as another? Thanks in advance for any input!
Larry Seguin
Taos, New Mexico

I prefer the Astronomiks.

Here's a review someone did of them:

< http://www.astromart.com/articles/article.asp?article_id=227 >

As an update, I see there was a thread about an article by Phil Harrington comparing filters in the August issue of Astronomy - and the DGM Optics NPB was considered "the best", and it's less expensive than the Lumicon or the Astronomik.

Posted 07/06/2005 03:43AM | Edited 07/06/2005 06:14AM #2
A couple years ago there was a discussion on Astronomik OIII filters on the BigDob Yahoo group. based on initial reports of improvements with the Astronomik, I purchased one to compare to my Lumicon.

Using a filter slide in my 12.5" f/6, I did a few nights of comparison between the Astronomik and Lumicon OIII filters, primarily on the Veil Nebula. During evenings where the limiting visual magnitude was not great (5.8 - 5.9) for this site, I could not discern any significant difference in the detail of the nebula. The Astronomik seemed to pass more light and stars were brighter and not coloured so much as through the Lumicon.

During another test with the limiting magnitude at ~6.4, I noted that the Lumicon provided better contrast and showed significantly more detail in the twists and curls of the nebula.

The discussion on the BigDob group seemed to have people preferring the Lumicon and people preferring Astronomic with no consistency among the opinions.

I also had an oportunity to test each filter with a spectrometer and the passband of the Astronomik is considerably wider than the Lumicon. This is confirmed by the results from testing a number of different filters at this web site.
http://home.freeuk.com/m.gavin/grism2.htm
This also shows the Astronomik to have a wider passband.

This wider passband is also shared by Tele Vue's OIII filter. I eventually sold my Astronomik to a fellow with a 4 inch refractor. Because it passes more light, it works well in smaller scopes and I always thought this was consistant with the design of the Tele Vue OIII filters. Tele Vue only makes small scopes and perhaps they chose a wider passband to be more successfull in small scopes. I believe older advertisements for the Lumicon filters suggested use on scopes larger than 6" to benefit best from the filters.

Anyway, I liked the Lumicon better, but others find the Astronomik to be great.

Gary Weber