Image of the day

Captured by
Michael Scherman

Moon 2024

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

How about best high power EP with 8" Dob?

Started by darkhop, 10/23/2002 04:04PM
Posted 10/23/2002 04:04PM Opening Post
My XT8 is what I'm stuck with until I quit buying defective lottery tickets. So far I haven't had the chance to try a high power ep in it, so before I go for a 2.8 or 3mm first of all let me ask if this is reasonable. I would think you could crank it up with aperture like that but you never know...

If I can use these things the next thing I'd be curious about is the amount of room I'd have to work with in regard to holding a digital camera up to it. I got a 4.8mm T1 Nag from astromart but the little pinhole is not quite enough.

(I'm a confirmed luna-tic and want to get as close in as possible for moon shots.)
Posted 10/23/2002 04:13PM #1
I have a 8" SkyWatcher dob. A great scope for the money! Virtually identical to the XT8. I have had little luck with anything shorter than the 6mm area. Have tried UO 6mm ortho and it can manage that. When I dip below that to a 5 or a 4 it's pretty much wasted time. I also tried a 6 Radian, but it will not work in my scope-barrel it too long.
I think you would be wasting time and money if you buy for mags higher than around 200.
Good luck,
-Curtis
--
--
--
Posted 10/23/2002 05:43PM #2
Hey Mr. luna-tic I own an XT-8. I throw 400X at it and it holds well. In order to use my digital camera though I can only use a 15mm or below. Like you the reason is to small an exit pupil. I have used the 5.2 Orion Lanthanum with success as it has a large lens and big eye relief. You have to get close and shoot the pic fast. The rubber eye cup is a perfect distance from the lens. I do not think you can use a 2.8 or 3mm. Image breakdown is fast. And a Dob is to hard to guide. At that magnifacation the image will be out of sight before you can line up for the shot. For your camera I believe you will need EP's with large exit pupils in order to line up quickly. They do sell holders for digitals that will help alot.