NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

How cold is too cold?

Started by [email protected], 01/16/2009 03:02AM
Posted 01/16/2009 03:02AM Opening Post
It's clear, the sky is dark, and it's -28C/-18.4F right now. I want to go outside but I am nervous about my gear in these low temps. Should I be?

Posted 01/16/2009 03:09AM #1
Wow. You must be dedicated, Michael.
Single digits is about the limit for me - and that's above zero. wink
I'm not sure how the equipment feels about it.
Linton
Posted 01/16/2009 03:50AM #2
I am out right now imaging at -20F. I have the laptop in a box of insulation. The 12" Mak is running fine, the mount is tracking perfectly, and the SBIG STL11K is still working fine with the chip at -45C. My fingers are very cold and almost flat, even with my heavy gloves. It can be done, but it is brutal. (Tomorrow I'll post the image I'm working on).

Rolando
Posted 01/16/2009 07:48AM #3
My refractor sat through a spell of -35F this Winter. I am not sure I would want it to get any colder, but I am not sure when I would make that call -- and how I would remedy the situation as it dropped into the -40's...

I have personally ventured out at -25F but I would not consider doing that very often.
Posted 01/16/2009 02:40PM #4
Michael Greenham said:

It's clear, the sky is dark, and it's -28C/-18.4F right now. I want to go outside but I am nervous about my gear in these low temps. Should I be?

How cold is too cold? Most gear will go way below what I can tolerate...Mid 30s F...LOL.

The main problem, seriously, is usually computer displays (like on an HC). Too cold and they become sluggish and unresponsive. They can be heated using hand-warmer packs, etc. For a simple non-electronic scope, it's gonna have to get much colder before you need to worry. In some cases, lubricants gettin' cold can make the focuser stiff. Same for the mount. But usually not in a disastrous fashion.

A couple of winters back I did some observing from Bath, Maine. My little WO Patriot 66 was quite happy.

I wasn't. LOL

Uncle Rod

Time on your hands?
Waste it with Uncle Rod's Astro Blog!

http://uncle-rods.blogspot.com/
Posted 01/16/2009 08:14PM #5
Interesting replies and I've always had such reservations after a 6" F10 Jaegers lens developed a small clam shell crack one night when I took it from the 70 Deg.F interior of my brother in law's house out to the -25 degree ambient one Christmas eve. That was my lump of coal.

That type of sudden shock where the aluminum structure can shrink very quickly and pinch the optics would be my only concern.

Jeff

"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things" 8O