NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Nexstar 114GT Firmware Version

Started by techmgrpa, 09/04/2003 02:05PM
Posted 09/04/2003 02:05PM Opening Post
Does anyone know how to determine the firmware version on a Nexstar 114GT? The scope is brand new (got it to use the mount as a travel mount for my TV-76). The hand controller shows the 2 star alignment option, so I'm assuming it must be the new firmware - but it doesn't give me an option to see the Version like the hc on my N11GPS does. The real problem is that I am not able to get a communication link established from the scope to The Sky, either through my PC or through my IPAQ (with Pocket Sky). I've run the HyperTerminal test and get the expected response from the scope, so I believe that the cable (from David Carter) connecting the scope and the computer is functional. I'm trying to gather all info before I contact Software Bisque.

Any suggestions on either question:

1. How to determine the firmware version?
2. How to get communication established?

Thanks,
John

John in SE Indiana
[COLOR="Red"]Corydon Ridge Observatory[/COLOR]
C-11/G-11, Televue TV-76, SolarMax 50DS
TMB/BO PlanetHunter 80,Meade AR-6
Posted 09/04/2003 08:50PM #1
The hardware's all there, but I'm not sure that the GT's can communicate with a computer at all.
Posted 09/05/2003 05:29PM #2
I talked to Daniel Bisque at Software Bisque and he resolved the problem. Apparently the settings that The Sky software uses for the Nexstar scopes includes some GPS stuff. Since the Nexstar 60, 80, 114, and 130 don't have the GPS encoders the signals being sent and received don't contain all the right info and a com link cannot be established. By changing to the Ultima 2000 setup everything works fine. I've tested both the laptop and the IPAQ with David Carter's cables and everything is working as hoped.

Just as an aside, there has been a lot of chatter here about the noise of the Nexstar 114GT mount. I found this to be true as well, until I took the mount apart and adjusted the alt and az tensions. After that, the mount runs much quieter - definitely not like my N11GPS, but better than when it arrived from the factory. Tonite I'll test how accurate the pointing and tracking are.

John in SE Indiana
[COLOR="Red"]Corydon Ridge Observatory[/COLOR]
C-11/G-11, Televue TV-76, SolarMax 50DS
TMB/BO PlanetHunter 80,Meade AR-6