My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

orion 100mm ed vs etx 105 uhtc

Started by cysmarc, 01/31/2006 06:56PM
Posted 01/31/2006 06:56PM Opening Post
Hi,
Has anyone tried the orion 100 mm ed apo? I have an etx 105 supercharged by doc clay. I was wondering if anyone compared the 105 to the apo. Are the views better in the apo or should I stick with the etx which I realy do like?
Posted 01/31/2006 07:39PM #1
itz marcus said:

Hi,
Has anyone tried the orion 100 mm ed apo? I have an etx 105 supercharged by doc clay. I was wondering if anyone compared the 105 to the apo. Are the views better in the apo or should I stick with the etx which I realy do like?

The 100ed apo is a nice scope for the money, and without a central obstruction it'll give a higher contrast image and gather a little more light than your etx 105 - but I don't think I'd change from a scope I really liked to get one with roughly similar capabilities without comparing them myself.

My advice would be to see if you can find the 100ed at the next star party you attend and see how you like it compared to your etx.

Each will have advantages over the other. Any two people could reasonably chose one over the other depending on what their interests and goals for the scope are.
Posted 01/31/2006 11:53PM #2
Hi,
----

It is really up to you...

The ETX-102 is more compact but optically, optically the ED-100 should outperform it by quite a margin in all regards as well as being capable of nearly a 3 degree FOV. Inch for inch, an APO refractor does about everything as well as a scope can do it.

The advice to take a gander through the eyepiece of an ED-100 is a good one, see what it is really like and then make a decision.

jon