Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Proud Papa

Started by chris brown, 11/18/2003 05:20AM
Posted 11/18/2003 05:20AM Opening Post
I just wanted to share with all the astromart patrons my positive experience showing the wonders of the heavens to my 11 year-old daughter, Tessa.
My daughter has been interested in astronomy since she helped me test some eyepieces on Saturn at 1:00am in the morning a few years back.
I decided to fix up my old Meade #285 refractor for her and her younger sister to use(60mm, f/15, EQ mount, 6x30 finder)
I used a laser collimator to align the optics (Finally, a circle out-of-focus!), and aligned the finder at triple-digit powers, to help her along. The result? She found Mars, the 7 sisters, even Albiero on her own! she never got impatient, even though the set-up is notorius for testing one's patience (good thing I didn't let her try my etx-90!) And I couldn't be a prouder papa! It goes to show you that those long hours we amateurs spend alone in the back yard can have positive consequences. You should have heard her when the Pleides came into focus!
Chris Brown
P.S. Wait till she tries my XT-8 with the red-dot!

There's something on the Moon! 8O
Posted 11/18/2003 05:29AM #1
Isn't that fun? :-)

During the recent lunar eclipse, my 5-year-old daughter had her first real look through a telescope, my Criterion RV-6 pointed at the moon at its lowest power during totality. It being a newtonian, she thought it very strange that she could see the moon by looking sideways into this big white tube.

She still won't go near the 10" f/8 though. The height of the eyepiece terrifies her!
Posted 11/18/2003 09:55AM #2
That's great Chris, it must be real nice to have your kid(s) sharing this passion. My daughter is just over 14 months, she sometimes comes to a sudden stop when she runs through the house, looks up to the scope and points her finger at it; papa? Yes, dear, those are papa's toys, but the little blue one is someday yours if you want it...
I just wish I had a scope that stands as tall to me as my scopes to my daughter!
Nico