Re: 10"f/4.7 versus a 12.5"f/5

Started by astromart55, 01/29/2004 03:25AM
Posted 01/29/2004 03:25AM Opening Post
Your comparison is simplistic at best. Were both mirrors of the same quality? Do both scopes have the same amount of light baffling? Were both scopes completely cooled to ambient temperature?

Unless you took those things into consideration, your comparison is meaningless. There's no way that a 10" scope will show the Trapezium to be sharper than in a 12.5" scope unless the latter is of inferior quality.

Nice try, but no dice.

Don Wyman

Don Wyman
Obsession #1166 18" f/4.5
with Argo Navis and ServoCat
WO Megrez 90 APO
Coronado PST
Posted 01/29/2004 04:58AM #1
No one called you a liar. I just said that I don't feel that your comparison is valid. Or is everyone in the world supposed to accept it as gospel just because you said it is so?

Don W

Don Wyman
Obsession #1166 18" f/4.5
with Argo Navis and ServoCat
WO Megrez 90 APO
Coronado PST
Posted 01/30/2004 01:40PM #2

Your comparison is simplistic at best. Were both mirrors of the same quality? Do both scopes have the same amount of light baffling? Were both scopes completely cooled to ambient temperature?

Unless you took those things into consideration, your comparison is meaningless. There's no way that a 10" scope will show the Trapezium to be sharper than in a 12.5" scope unless the latter is of inferior quality.

Nice try, but no dice.

Don Wyman
My FS-78 shows the Trapezium as sharper than my 14.5" Starmaster, the reasons are, seeing effects the 14.5" much more than the 3" Tak! And you just cant beat a samll APO for that tack sharp image. But we all know the 14.5" will beat the FS-78 on brighness and deatil anyday.

Chas