My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re. International postal money order ?

Started by MZUKO, 05/22/2004 08:09PM
Posted 05/22/2004 08:09PM Opening Post
Hi,

I recently sold a telescope to a person in Japan. The gentleman sent me the money as an international postal money order. I deposited the money into my bank account. After a few days I checked to make sure the money orders had cleared. The branch officer told me these type of international payements can have a problem even a month after depositing them. They could be fraudulent and take some time for that to be evident. Hopefully not in this case.
What type of payments are reccomended for an international tranaction?

Marc zukoff
Posted 05/22/2004 09:48PM #1
I always thought postal money orders in Canada were like cash. I bought a money order last week (for a telescope transaction) and asked if I could pay for it with a credit card. I know I can pay many other postal fees with a credit card. The woman said "No, cash or debit card only". This confirmed for me that the money order was as good as a certified cheque, as they would accept nothing less than cash (electronic or otherwise - but cash nonetheless) to purchase one.

I don't honestly know what happens to my money order once it arrives in California, but they ensure their can be no liens against the money order before issuing one.

Gary Weber
Posted 05/22/2004 09:58PM #2
As far as I know, there is no internationally recognized postal money order. The USPS does not sell any such thing.

Don W

Don Wyman
Obsession #1166 18" f/4.5
with Argo Navis and ServoCat
WO Megrez 90 APO
Coronado PST
Posted 05/23/2004 10:18PM #3
Hi Mark,

I do not know about Japan, but when I was living in Australia, I always used international money orders for purchasing telescope equipment from the USA. There was never any problem. Either with individuals or companies.

I would suspect that your bank does not know how to handle it.

Cheers,

Maurice

* Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day.
* Teach a man to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks.