Sirius vs. Atlas

Started by dhahn365, 11/25/2007 07:45PM
Posted 11/25/2007 07:45PM Opening Post
Hey everyone,

I recently decided to get into astrophotography, and figuring out what mount to buy is a huge pain in the rear. I have a Meade DSI pro for guiding, an Orion DSCI II for imaging, a WO ZenithStar 80 II ED APO for imaging, and I will be ordering the Orion Shortube 80 OTA pretty soon. Of course there are the cables and mounting rings as well. Without cables it totals at 13.26 pounds.

To my main question. Should I go with the Sirius or Atlas mount for astrophotography? I have heard that you should never exceed half of your mounts weight rating when planning to photograph. Of course the Sirius has a rating of 30lbs and the Atlas has a rating of 40lbs. Is it worth the extra $350 to step up to the Atlas. The Atlas also weighs an extra 33lbs. Weight isn't a huge issue, but is it really worth stepping up to the Atlas? Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

David
Posted 11/25/2007 10:01PM #1
I recently decided to get into astrophotography, and figuring out what mount to buy is a huge pain in the rear.

Huh, you'll be surprised what's coming!

Dmitri
Posted 11/26/2007 10:16PM | Edited 11/26/2007 10:17PM #2
David, between those two, I would definitely get the Atlas. For astrophotography, a steady mount is a must have, and the Atlas is a great mount at that price range... (I have one, and love it!)

Sure, you should be able to find better mounts, but at a much higher price, unless they are stripped down versions (non-GOTO). (which is not a bad thing, but in my case GOTO is a necessity)

Clear skies! 8)

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 11/27/2007 09:32PM | Edited 11/28/2007 06:21PM #3
David
If you see a Celestron CI-700, they make a nice imaging mount and can often be found for $1200-$1300 with DSS (digital setting circles) for finding objects. It will carry quite a load for visual or photography.

Of course, if you decide to really get serious about imaging, plan for an eventual purchase of a Tak or an AP mount. But for one of these, you are lookng at $3000+, even for a used one. I picked up a used AP600-QMS about a year ago and it is a joy to use.

Steven Jindra