Image of the day

Captured by
mikhail vasilenko

NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

What I hate about most Refractors is.......

Started by RenatoAlessio, 09/17/2002 06:04AM
Posted 09/17/2002 06:04AM Opening Post
...... the dumb place they put their 6X30 finders, namely attached to their focusers. So unless an object is low in the sky, one has to crouch down very low to see into it, or raise the tripod legs very, very high.
After being driven nuts by this when I first got my Vixen, I fixed the problem by attaching a long flat piece of metal to the tube rings, and attaching another 6X30 finder to that metal. So I now have the original finder at the focuser, plus another one positioned on the metal bracket, such that it is up near the lens cell - which makes it very easy to use.
No one ever seems to raise this matter, which often makes a refractor very hard to use compared to other telescopes. Is it because everyone is more nimble and agile than me, in the way they bend over to see through finders?
Renato
Posted 09/17/2002 11:35AM #1
Renato--we all hate to bend over like that!!!You are on the right tract by relocating your finder scope. Another way would be to purchase a right angle finder scope in place of the std. one and also purchase a red-dot finder which you place higher up on the scope. This finder will put you in the general vicinity of your target- then use the ra. finder to put the main scope right on target.
This is just another idea. Roger in Tampa
Posted 09/17/2002 03:32PM #2
I cured my craned neck from using my old 6x30 finder with a TV Starbeam finder. It's mounted near midpoint of my OTA and I can see the red dot from the eyepiece position! Near the zenith, the little flip mirror does the magic ;-).

So think of the Starbeam as the neck cream (umm that's a rhyme ;-).

Ron B[ee]