The Iris

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Multiple telescope roll off question

Started by lthaxton, 02/16/2016 09:35AM
Posted 02/16/2016 09:35AM | Edited 02/17/2016 06:24AM Opening Post
I am in the planning stages for a home observatory. While I like the look of the MAXPod, I have two or three telescopes I want to keep permanently set up and multiple domes gets expensive fast. So my question is whether anyone has built a roll-off to house multiple scopes, what dimensions you settled on and what issues you encountered due to the increased size?

Thank you so much in advance!
Posted 02/18/2016 09:33PM #1
Hi Larry, Saw your new thread few days ago so will weigh in couple of thoughts. My "small" home made dome (TM #18 picture attached) served well for decades. I side-saddled multiple scopes or cameras for imagery and that eventually got out of hand. So I set a couple of small piers just outside with attached equatorial heads. OTAs (stored in the dome) easy to carry out and use; electricity and other stuff right there in the dome. So I had the advantage of multiple set-ups with the amenities still close at hand. It was a compromise that worked nicely at minimal added cost. That dome was 12-ft; I eventually build a nearly identical 24-ft. Twice as big but ten times the expense and effort. I'm guessing roll-offs are more graceful when it comes to scaling up though. Tom Dey

Attached Image:

Thomas Dey's attachment for post 150470

29-inch Dob in a dome
36-inch upgrade soon
LUNT 80/80 solar scope
FLI 6803 cam
APM 100mm APO Binos
JMI RB-16 Night Vision Binos
Zeiss 20x60 IS binos
Posted 02/23/2016 11:24AM | Edited 02/23/2016 02:02PM #2
My idea of an observatory is like this:

Roll off roof, either as one roof or split in two. This way you can keep either side open and the other side closed if desired.

Observatory floor built about 2-3 feet above the ground, elevated with wooden stilts. This allows venting, quick cooling, better seeing etc.
This also eliminates a floor slab that can radiate heat thru out the night destroying seeing. It's cheaper too.
Ones the piers are poured, build the observatory all around the piers.

Finally, make the observatory as big as possible...

Good luck.