Re. A few observatory completion questions

Started by MZUKO, 11/22/2003 06:41PM
Posted 11/22/2003 06:41PM Opening Post
I was wondering about a few things for my 10X10 roll off observatory:

1) Is insulation reccomeded in the interior? Vapor
barrier?
2) Does anyone reccomend exterior paint on the
interior walls to keep out moisture?
3)What is the best way to keep humidity down?
De-humidifier? Light on?
4)Is an exhaust fan reccomended?
5)The flooring is wood and i was wondering about the adavantages or disadavantages of putting down indoor-outdoor carpeting

Thanks,
Posted 11/24/2003 05:22PM #1
I took someone's suggestion on this forum and installed rope lighting on a dimmer switch and it works great. I am thinking about installing a small space heater on a timer to deal with condensation during periods of rapid temp changes during the winter months...when a warm front comes through after cold weather, condensation forms on the cold metal surfaces...a little heat now and then might help. I found that short pile carpeting around the pier area has been a life saver when I've dropped something in the dark...my floor is masonary, but your wooden floor might be more forgiving...I used a ridge vent with soffet venting for air circulation...I'm also going to install a small oscillating fan for the summer months to keep the mosquitos at bay....good luck with your observatory...you'll probably wonder how you ever did without it.

John

Attached Image:

John F. Powell's attachment for post 73459
Posted 11/24/2003 10:36PM #2
De-humidfier sold for mobile trailer houses goes a long way to keeping condinsation down. Also just a oscilating fan moving air, without heat, will keep dew from forming and won't add to the cool down issue. As for the floor, rubber mat sold for industrial purposes will ease the pain of feet and legs and will cushion parts that may fall. Also won't hide small screws that may fall. Harbor freight sells this fairly cheap but can be found other places.
Clear Dark Skies
Magic Man
SSMO
Posted 12/03/2003 03:31AM #3
You don't say where you live, but a vapor barrier is probably required by the building code. Paint would do virtually nothing to help.

If you're where it gets hot and humid, a small reverse cycle (heat-pump) A/C window unit would work as well as a dehumidifier. Put it on a timer (which means either one with a built-in timer or mechanical controls).