My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

rigel thru 100mm ed

Started by cysmarc, 04/01/2006 06:44PM
Posted 04/01/2006 06:44PM Opening Post
Hi,
Just got the ed 100mm everything seems great.
Quick question is rigel a double? I saw a little star separated by the smallest fraction thru a 10mm sirius plossl
and a celestron 10mm sma. It wasn't an extension but was clearly separated. Am I crazy or correct? In case I got the wrong star name, it was the right corner star at the bottom of Orion, the separation was a little to the right on the bottom. If it's not a double does anyone have an idea as to what I saw? :C or maybe 8)
Clear Skies
Posted 04/01/2006 07:35PM #1
Yup, it is a Double... 8)

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 04/02/2006 05:30PM #2
Rigel is a definitely a double. The companion is well separated but significantly dimmer than the primary.

Planetarium gives it's separation as 9.5 arcseconds with the primary being magnitude 0.1, the secondary 6.8.

Rigel is one of my favorites, I check it out every session it can be seen, usually the first target.

The large separation makes is reasonably easy but the faint companion means that it can get hidden in the glare of the much brighter primary. That 6.7 magnitude difference means that the primary is over 400 times brighter.

In 3 or 4 inch Achromat, I find that the seeing has to be quite good to see the secondary as it seems to hide in the purple haze of the primary star. In my ED-80, it seem to be able to split Rigel even in rather poor seeing. In my 12.5 inch Newtonians, it seems to be splittable under the worst circumstances, low on the horizon just clearing the fence in a scope that is boiling away as it cools down...

Rigel is one of my favorites and I bet it will soon be one of yours too...

There are several other nice doubles in the region, Zeta Orionis, the bottom star in the belt. NEar that is a group of doubles, sigma orionis, a nice unequal pair is llambda orionis. And then the triple "Beta mons" is not far away and 18 Canis Majoris is a nice double as well.

Oh well..
Jon