Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

Eastern Bluebird

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Perkin Elmer T5 Telephoto Lens

Started by tomrod, 02/23/2003 07:04AM
Posted 02/23/2003 07:04AM Opening Post
I have a 8" F5 telephoto lens. It is marked "DISTORTIONLESS TELEPHOTO AERO LENS 40 IN. (1016MM) F/5.0 T5-Y6-068 MADE IN THE U.S.A. BY THE PERKIN ELMER CORPORATION, NORWALK, CONNECTICUT"

The only reference I can find to a PE T5 lens is a lens that was used at the end of WWII to film atomic bomb explosions.

Does anyone know where I can find more information on this lens?

I added a picture. The Perkin Elmer is on the left.

Attached Image:

tomrod's attachment for post 4019

There are only 10 kinds of people who understand binary - those that do and those that don't
Posted 02/23/2003 09:25AM #1
We can't tell you Tom, or we would have to, er, well you know....
Seriously, I spent most of my Navy career in aerial photography, and a high percentage of the optics used were from Perkin-Elmer. As a matter of fact, some of them were highly classified in their day. I remember using a 2.5" long cat telephoto that was 1000mm effective fl, this was in the early 60's.
They made a lot of special purpose optics for "one time use" projects, so it wouldn't surprise me that your reference was in fact the only use for the lens.
However, the Air Force used some long lenses, 40" and more, for standoff photography from RB-57's and maybe even U-2's
back in the Vietnam era.
FWIW

Walt
Posted 04/11/2009 05:08PM #2
Hello Tom,
About 20 years ago I bought two telephoto systems apparently identical to yours at a local military surplus auction. The label on one of them reads "DISTORTIONLESS TELEPHOTO AERO LENS 40 IN. (1016MM) F/5.0 T5-Y7-119 MADE IN THE U.S.A. BY THE PERKIN-ELMER CORPORATION, GLENBROOK, CONNECTICUT. (Note slight differences from your label.) They came with a lens cone for a type K-22 camera (the camera did not come with them). One of 4 metal labels indicates that the camera had a "9x9" plate. Telescope making and astronomy were my hobbies as a teenager and I couldn't let the opportunity to obtain two 8-inch objectives pass me by. Now, some 20 years later I have desided to create something useful with them. From your picture, it appears that you have. At this point I can't help you with any useful information since I have just started my search, but if I do I would be happy to share it with you.
Eddie Daniels
Posted 04/11/2009 05:43PM #3
Todd- What you have is a James Baker designed aerial telephoto lens. I had a chance to buy one once when I was active in Deep Sky photography, but I looked it over and couldn't figure out how I was ever going to be able to hook on an 8x10 cold camera that Evered Kreimer and I were attempting to use during those years. If I remember correctly the barrel diameter was smaller in the center section than the diameter at each end. It was and is a beautiful piece and you are lucky to have it.

Best regards
Keith Parizek