NGC7293 Helix Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Mays Messiers

Started by davebudlong, 05/09/2005 02:45AM
Posted 05/09/2005 02:45AM Opening Post
Lets start out with the following 9 objects, I hope to make this fun and interesting for everybody to do.
#1 M104 The Sombrero Galaxy, this is a brighter galaxy but a fun one to find.
#2 M3 This Globular cluster is possible in Binoculars. Give it a try if your skies are sort of dark.
#3 M53 Its not quite as bright as M3 but its still a nice globular.
#4 M64 Here is another Galaxy and we are staying out of the groupings this is still down by them.
#5 M68 This is the toughest globular for the month, its bright enough but smallish.
#6 M81 OK so I am giving out a pair of galaxies this month, and that is technically a group but, its a bright group of two.
#7 M82 OK here is the other member of the above pair, they can be fit into the same widefield view.
#8 M101 High over head up in Ursa Major we found the last 2 galaxies and thats where we will find this large face on spiral galxy as well.
Finally this month's challenge object
#9 M97 This is the only object on this months list that I have not seen in Binoculars. Its the smallest object on this months list and the dimmest. You got to want it.
If I can do anything to help, just ask. Clear Skies and Happy Hunting.

Real men play Golf
Posted 05/09/2005 03:59AM #1
For those of you feeling hyper motivated get them all in one night.

Real men play Golf
Posted 05/09/2005 12:59PM #2
Dave,

This is a great list. The evening of May 4, I worked just about this same list, except I didn't try for M53 and M63. I successfully hit on about 6 of the others.

I have really been pounding the area south of Beta Corvi, looking for M68, but I just can't seem to find it. M104 the Sombrero has also been avoiding detection.

I will keep after them! I am using a 90mm f11 refractor.

Rick W

8" Zhumell Dob
90mm f11 achro refractor
4-1/2 f4 rich field newt reflector
Posted 05/09/2005 01:08PM #3
Hey Dave,

Great idea, and a great list for folks like myself who are working through these. I've found the following site very helpful and printed out each month to stick in a notebook.

http://observers.org/observing/
Posted 05/10/2005 03:32AM #4
How is everybody doing so far? Need reports.

Real men play Golf