My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: What would you do if?

Started by gk, 11/28/2004 01:55AM
Posted 11/28/2004 01:55AM Opening Post
I ask you a simple question.
What would you do if you were to start all over again with the knowledge you now posses regarding astro-imaging and or photo?
This is where I am right now, I have been enjoying my Intes MN56 for over a year now and am delighted with it's outstanding performance, but I want to delve deeper into the rabbits' hole.
My equipment is as follows:
MN56, CG-5 tripod, Laptop, Max-view 40, tv 2.5 powermate, 9mm, 25mm, and a lot of patience.

Budget is hopefully under 1,000, I want to use it mainly on planets, moon and what ever else I can see here in extremely light polluted South Florida.
If anyone needs help with their golf swing or rules questions, drop me a question, I am a PGA pro and would gladly help you out.
Thanks -GK-
Posted 11/28/2004 03:02AM #1
Get a nice binocular and head for a darker site. You have good equipment and the best seeing in the country. Advice from another beginer, I don't play golf, you must be very good at it.
Posted 11/30/2004 02:18PM #2
With the setup you have, you may want to consider a webcam or an LPI or DSI from Meade. Maybe an off-axis guider to go with it.

With that addition, your equipment is good enough for rudimentary astrophotography (assuming you have motors on the CG-5.)

However, jumping to anything serions will require at least $1500 or so in a mount.

And to answer your introductory question, were I to start all over again, with the knowledge I now possess, maybe I just would not start all over again in astro imaging.

Alex
Posted 11/30/2004 07:01PM #3
George,
I started back into astronomy after a 32 year break by buying an mn 56 and a super polaris mount. (My introduction had been with an f 15 5" Alvan Clarke which would get 1/2 a degree true field, and in was hard to find objects with it.) While I was waiting for ITE to actually deliver (7 months), I got a good deal on a very good 8 inch dobsonian (mirror by Mike Spooner). The MN 56 is great, but the dob crushes it on planetary and deep sky (although a drive would be nice). It's easier to set up and my eight-year -old daughter is comofortable using it. The MN 56 will give me a full three degrees, which is nice for some things, and if I go into some kind of photography it will be very useful. But for visual, a good dob is hard to beat, and well within your price range.
Posted 12/01/2004 07:10PM | Edited 12/01/2004 07:12PM #4
Why not pick up a focal corrector to drop the focal length to 473mm the find a used ST-7. You should be able to have that for under 1000.00. You should also have a blast! If you don't like it sell it and get your money back.
Posted 12/04/2004 04:47AM #5
Is that a "real" 3 mark or is it a vanity 3?
I work at the Toughest course in south florida, we hold the qualifiers for the Honda Classic, the Doral Open and the US amateur. Bring your 3 hdcp down here, play my course and see if you don't cry for your mommy when you are through!
But seriously...our course is 76.7 from the back tees and is 7,360 yds long!@$#%
Check us out at www.theclubatemeraldhills.com
There are some cool 360 degree looks of my course. Thanks for the input -GK-