My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Where to go for a South Cal newbie

Started by benkokes, 11/29/2004 10:19PM
Posted 11/29/2004 10:19PM Opening Post
Hello all,

I am new to the Astronomy game and would like to go to one of the larger star viewing events. I know nothing about scopes except that the 650x on the side of K-mart scopes is a dirty, dirty like (no, I'm not bitter..) I figured that going out to the evets with many other enthusiasts would give me a feel what would be my better scope to start out with.

Also, how large are some of the star viewing events? 5 people? 50?

Any information would be appreciated...
thanks,
-Ben
benkokes AT hotmail DOT com.

Posted 11/30/2004 12:16AM #1
Ben,

I invite you to come out with us to Landers once a month. We have a star party with anywhere from twenty to forty scopes, and their handlers. We have five acres in the desert, pretty good skies, a house to sleep in if needed, and to warm up in. SOme locally troublesome lights, but pretty dark otherwise. See Rivastro.org and follow the links to GMARS information for details. We will probably be out there the second weekend in December (even though nothing official is scheduled, but contact me personally closer to then just to be sure.

Oh, and of course you are welcome to our meetings also, (same web page for details).

Alex
Riverside Astronomical Society
Posted 11/30/2004 12:18AM #2
One more thought--it is not until Memorial Day weekend, but one of the biggest star parties in the country, RTMC Astronomy Expo--will be at Big Bear, CA.

Alex
Posted 12/09/2004 12:40AM #3
Ben,
Check out the Los Angeles Astronomical Society at www.LAAS.org too.
We gather in Frazier Park near Mount Pinos every Saturday closest to the new moon (12/11 is the next one) for a star party. Between 15 to 60 people attend those with a lot of different scopes to look at and thru! Of course during the winter months, the site tends to be less crowded... Great group of people and a lot of fun observing!
I'll be there this Saturday... You're most welcome to join!
Posted 12/21/2004 04:32PM | Edited 12/21/2004 04:35PM #4
Ben,

I haven't read all the replys yet, but if no one has suggested Mt Pinos, it's a great place to go and observe other scopes. Hwy 14 is the easy route there from LA LA land. Right now probably wouldn't be a good time to go though, as the parking lot where people go to observe sits at about 8500 ft. During the spring and summer however, it's probably the best spot in SoCal that's a convenient drive.

For myself, Figueroa Mtn in Santa Barbara County is the place to be.

Clear Skies,

David Eccles
Lompoc