Image of the day

From the
ATWB Customer Gallery

AR 2773 from Lake Ahern Observatory

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Poll

2020 President - NO COMMENTS (take to Politics Forum)

Results
Previous Polls

Need Help?

Canon EOS-10D

Started by dwalton, 09/29/2003 11:46AM
Posted 09/29/2003 11:46AM Opening Post
I'm considering this D/SLR and would like to hear any opinions you might offer as to its quality and performance. I have read a few stories about auto-focus problems but I'm not sure if these are representative. I would be using it for a variety of situations, not just bird photos. There is some possibility of foggy and/or misty conditions but nothing too wet.

If this is not the correct forum, just let me know and I'll repost it somewhere else.

Thanks, Doug
Posted 09/29/2003 02:19PM #1
I returned 2 10D's before I got my current one. I had focus problems. The one I have now is great. You need good lenses to go with it. Some people maintain that only L series lenses produce good results. I wouldn't go that far.
I did read a story from one person who had to send his in to Canon because moisture corroded something in his camera. It's not weatherproof. Some of the L series lenses are pretty good about having rubber seals etc.
Check out:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/viewboard.php?BoardID=23
If you don't need all of the advanced features, look at the Digital Rebel too.
Anyway, I love my 10D and Canon acessories.
Posted 09/29/2003 09:57PM #2
Everyone has already expressed any comments I may have made. I owned Olympus film equipment for many years and had neither Canon nor Nikon lenses. My friends were in the Canon camp otherwise I may have gone with Nikon. Canon puts out some excellent glass but you will have to pay for it. I use a few high end lenses but surprised even myself when I finally purchased a very high end lens, the 300 f/2/8. This lens with a 2X teleconverter is much sharper than my 100-400 f/4.5 or my 70-200 f/2.8. I knew zoom lenses were not going to be as good as fixed lenses. However, these are not inexpensive lenses but can't compare to the 300mm.

I do know that the 10D is not waterproof but will take a small amount of moisture.

As suggested, decide what features you want and make your choice. I would purchase the equipment from a dealer with a liberal return policy.

Cal
Posted 09/30/2003 03:49AM #3
Thanks very much to everyone for all the information so far. I've been doing a lot of reading about this and other digital cameras and my understanding is improving. The spot metering thing is something I had not thought of.

Doug
Posted 09/30/2003 04:00PM #4
The 10D does have a partial metering mode which covers the center 9%. I check the display after every shot. It shows a histogram and any overexposed areas will blink white. Also, I shoot everything in raw so I can adjust the exposure -2 to +2 on my computer later. I'm not downplaying a spot meter, but I wouldn't pass on the 10D for that reason alone.
The main reason I bought the 10D was it's performance at ISO speeds 200, 400, even 800 and occasionally beyond. That comes in handy when you need a higher shutter speed.
The D100 is a great camera too. Each has it's strengths.