Image of the day

Captured by
Terry Wood

Jupiter (clearer) Nov 5th 2023 w/Mewlon 180c

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Re: Let the scum die, sooner the better...

Started by Jeff Catalina, 02/06/2004 08:49PM
Posted 02/06/2004 08:49PM Opening Post
A probation officer recommended o to a judge on December 30th---only five weeks ago---that this animal be incarcerated because of parole violations. The judge said no. We don't call the judges decision to let this man remain free a crime, but it was clearly the wrong one. It, in effect, directly contributed to the death of this little girl.

My fear is that in a society like the one that you wish for, that judge would be drawn and quartered only minutes after this child killer was run over by a steam roller. What's worse is that it would probably all be on cable.

Make no mistake, I don't mean to imply that harsh punishment, even the capital sort, is wrong. It is clearly justified in some instances. But torture before death isn't the answer either. Should we return to the middle ages, where public hangings and disembowelments were today's equivalent of a cup of coffee?

Just my thoughts.

Jeff

Posted 02/06/2004 09:54PM #1
Hi all.

"A probation officer recommended o to a judge on December 30th---only five weeks ago---that this animal be incarcerated because of parole violations. The judge said no. We don't call the judges decision to let this man remain free a crime, but it was clearly the wrong one. It, in effect, directly contributed to the death of this little girl."

So what will be done to the 'judge'? Should not he be made to accept the responsibility of what he did as well?

Maurice

* Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a day.
* Teach a man to use the internet and he won't bother you for weeks.
Posted 02/06/2004 11:31PM #2
Michael, there is a lot of hate and bitterness in your post, and I'm sorry to see it. It's obvious you have been wronged and that it has left it's mark. But torturing criminals is not worthy of any person or country aspiring to be civilized. If that is done, then we lose our humanity and become that much more like the criminals themselves. Even when capital punishment is imposed, the purpose should be to remove the threat to society, not vengeance.

Now, having said that... if someone (heaven forbid) badly hurt someone in my circle of loved ones, I would want an angry form of justice dispensed, and in the heat of emotion, might care little about how humanely it was carried out. We are complex creatures, composed of intellect and emotion; learning how to balance the two is a constant and complex experience, and one that can be (obviously) be a great challenge. The long running debate about capital punishment is proof of that.

One other thing, I draw a distinct line between crimes of violence and other types of crime. I think lumping them all together, either in debate or in prison, is a huge mistake.
Posted 02/07/2004 12:53AM #3
Mike C:

"Crime is killing us here in the USA, and my tax monies are paying for these vermin to eat steak dinners and sit watching reality shows. I want them to suffer damnit."

Do the crime, pay the price, absolutely. But you should be happy we live in the USA, instead of Pakistan, for example. President Musharaf just pardoned a guy after he admitted selling nuclear technology to Iran, Lybia and North Korea. I'm fairly certain that guy would be spending a bit of time here in the USA, if he wasn't given the death penalty---like the Rosenbergs.

Jeff