NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

2.8 fps??

Started by cmcniss, 10/02/2005 04:46PM
Posted 10/02/2005 04:46PM Opening Post
Sorry to post this question here. I have also posted this question to the TouCam group but with all the expertise I see in this group I thought your input would fully round out any actions I take to rectify my current problem.

I recently bought a TouCam 840 and have used it several times on the moon and Mars with satisfactory results. More recently my old laptop crashed and I bought a new laptop.

I had no trouble recording AVI sequences on the old laptop and when I was running at a setting of 10fps I would usually capture an average of 9.9 fps.

Now with the new laptop and all the same settings that was used on the old laptop, I am lucky to records 2.8 fps second no matter what I set the capture frame rate to. I am dropping 3 to 4 times more frames than are actually being captured!

I have tried uninstalling and re-installing both the Philips software and the K3ccd software and this has made no change to the captured fps rate.

Is there something I am missing? Is there a computer setting I need to make to make the camera more compatible with the laptop? The camera software indicates that the camera is functioning properly.

I'm stumped!

Thanks in advance...
Chase
Posted 10/02/2005 05:11PM #1
Hello Chase,

What type of hard drives did you have in your old and new laptops. For example, my IBM Thinkpad has an option for a 7200 RPM hard drive, which is why I bought it. However, most laptops have 5,400 RPM hard drives, or as low as 4,200 RPM in budget models. Most of the low cost laptops use the lower speed hard drives.

If your old laptop had a higher speed hard drive, then this may account for the changes you have seen.

Kirk
Posted 10/02/2005 05:32PM #2
Hi Chase, we need more info on your laptop(s) - the old and new. cpu, speed, ram, hard disk, that sort of thing.

Also, are you running the same operating system on the new laptop as on the old one?

Do you have antivirus applications on the new laptop that's different to the old one?

The more info you can give us the better.

regards, Anthony

http://www.acquerra.com.au/astro
Posted 10/04/2005 01:01AM #3
To all who responded,

Wanted to extend my thanks to those who responded to my fps concerns. Your help and suggestion got me the information I neded to take my new computer back to the vendor after determining that the HDD was defective. I have since come home with another unit and it is working great. grin
No dropped frames when using K3CCD and the benchmark test of the HDD shows it to be right in spec with the manfacturer's specifications.

Of course we are looking at less than perfect weather the rest of the week. It's not like I bought a new scope but I guess Murphy's law for astronomers doesn't care what the equipment is, your just going to have to wait before you and go out and play.

Thanks again,
C