Image of the day

Captured by
Paul Walsh

Wet beak - he had just skimmed the neighbor's pond.

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Observing in Hawaii

Started by RobertHowe, 07/20/2010 02:31AM
Posted 07/20/2010 02:31AM | Edited 07/20/2010 02:36AM Opening Post
I had a disappointing experience recently.

Went to a professional meeting on the Big Island a fortnight ago, stayed there last week for fun. Brought my Traveler, I've tried the GT but it is too heavy for me to lug around. Observed repeatedly from the golf course of my (very isolated) hotel, even with a little stray light from the buildings the southern objects were wonderful. Old familiar M31 was especially outstanding, brighter and with MUCH more detail in the Traveler than seen at home with a 5 or 7 inch apo. Went one night to the Onizuka Visitors' Center on Mauna Kea where the seeing was just outstanding. The little Traveler showed its stuff, even novices were lined up to view through it rather than the Center's 12 inch cats. Could see more detail on Jupiter low in the east than I can usually see overhead. Omega Centauri gave me the chills. An enthralling session.

Damn, I love this hobby!

Came home to Wilbraham, had a nice dark night, opened my roll off. Took a look at Jupiter. Took a look at M31. Took a look at a couple of other things. Closed the roll off, went inside, had a double shot of bourbon and went to bed shaking my head.

What's the sense of straining at faint, hard to see, uncertain objects with a large expensive scope through crappy East coast air, when the same object looks 100 times better through a 4 inch apo on an alt-az when viewed in fine skies?

Damn, I hate this hobby. I'm selling everything except the Traveler and moving to Waimea. I wonder if they need an endocrinologist there...

Attached Image:

RobertHowe's attachment for post 51464

Robert Howe
Wilbraham MA

TeleVue 85 f/7 // Astro-Physics Traveler 105 f/6 // Astro-Physics 130 f/8.35 // Tak Mewlon 210 //
Coronado 60 DS
"Scopes, Brains and Wisdom--but no Beauty"
Posted 07/20/2010 02:44AM #1
Sure, Hawaiians have endocrine systems, don't they?

Joe Bergeron

Moderator, Astro-Physics Forum
Posted 07/20/2010 04:29AM #2
I feel the same way about the southwest side of Kauai. What is even worse is that I am out at 3:00 in the morning in shorts and a t-shirt . . . and I feel overdressed. sad

Attached Image:

Rick Keppler's attachment for post 137770
Posted 07/20/2010 05:01PM #3
>>Damn, I hate this hobby. I'm selling everything except the Traveler and moving to Waimea. I wonder if they need an endocrinologist there... >>

I've been thinking the same thing, when I retire (way down the road unfortunately) I'll be spending a lot of time in Waimea at our favorite condo.

Rolando