Stowaway and Traveler

Started by RobertHowe, 06/17/2004 01:38PM
Posted 06/17/2004 01:38PM Opening Post
Hello friends,

Given the highly-unlikely chance that one could find a second hand Traveler or f/7 Stowaway, which would be the better scope for general use and for travel? The Stowaway is of course lighter and has less aperture but I note on the AP website that the FLs, magnifications and FOVs are very similar. The finest telescopic view I have *ever* seen was the crescent moon and a single nearby star, through a Stowaway this spring. Does the Stowaway differ enough from the TeleVue 85, presently my travel scope, enough to warrant the change? All opinions will be gratefully received.

Robert Howe

Robert Howe
Wilbraham MA

TeleVue 85 f/7 // Astro-Physics Traveler 105 f/6 // Astro-Physics 130 f/8.35 // Tak Mewlon 210 //
Coronado 60 DS
"Scopes, Brains and Wisdom--but no Beauty"
Posted 06/17/2004 05:28PM #1
I have the 92mm F7 Stowaway and its probably the perfect travel scope.
The views with the moon and planets are really wonderful and you won't believe
that this is a 92mm Aperture scope. Likewise deep sky wide field viewing is
something I never tire of. All of the veil in one eyepiece field and without a filter
Of course dark skies really help. But then traveling to dark skies is not a problem
The scope and my Vixen GPDX packs along in less than 5 minutes. Once I arrive at the
site it takes less then ten minutes to assemble and less time to tear down. If I
did not have the Stowaway then it would probably be the Televue 85, of course
I also have a Takahashi FS 78 that is also a very good travel scope as well.
Basically its like this if you have the chance to get your hands on a Traveler or
a Stowaway do it you won't be dissappointed.

Clear Skies
Dwight L Bogan
Posted 06/18/2004 02:21PM #2
AN f7 Stowaway just sold last week on Astromart for $4000. http://astromart.com/classifieds/details.asp?classified_id=278186
Posted 06/21/2004 10:04PM #3
Robert, if you plan to use a travel scope for ccd photography as well as visual,I would recommend the traveler. It has a longer backfocus,threaded draw tube for more secure camera/scope interface and easier to mount STV(or even a finder). Purely visual, I like the stowaway which is much lighter, particularly when toting mount,eyepieces, etc.(with Tak P2-Z, a great portable package).The veracity of my judgement is exemplified in accompaning photo of my observational platform. Joe

Attached Image:

jjbadal21169's attachment for post 80744