C8 Advanced and Add-On CN-16 GPS

Started by mdedon, 01/03/2004 03:07PM
Posted 01/03/2004 03:07PM Opening Post
This may be redundant info but I didn't see it in a search. I ordered my C8-SGT Advanced with CG5 EQ mount in September along with the CN-16 addon GPS. Got the scope in three weeks but the GPS back ordered and came in after Christmas. It plugs into the AUX port on the CGE and NextStar 5i/8i but the Advanced does not have an AUX port. A message to Celestron came back with the info stating the adapter needed for the Advanced is not being manufactured and probably won't be available until February. However, you can get a 6-pin connector which allows the hand controller and the GPS to plug into two female slots, and the connector then gets plugged into the Hand Controller port on the mount. I opted to get a two female in and one female out and patched it to the HC port with a 12" 6-pin patch cable.I found all parts at Lowes in the phone aisle for about $6. It works fine.
Posted 01/04/2004 03:49PM #1
I have not used an autoguider yet. I'm experimenting with a SAC 8 with off-axis manual guiding for images and I am very much a novice at this.
Posted 01/04/2004 04:07PM #2
The GPS is not as useful on the German Equatorial mount. On the forkmounted Nexstar 5i/8i, it will point the mount to the north. It cannot do that with the GEM. Therefore all it will do is give you the current position (Lat. & Long.) and time. You can get the same info from a $99 Garmin Etrex hand held GPS. I have the mount too, but I can't see paying almost $200 for that.

Don Wyman

Don Wyman
Obsession #1166 18" f/4.5
with Argo Navis and ServoCat
WO Megrez 90 APO
Coronado PST
Posted 01/05/2004 11:34PM #3
In retrospect, I saw a post somewhere in AM that said (sic) "I know where I am and have a watch", or something like that. After hooking up the GPS, I wonder why Celestron and dealers continue to say the CN-16 is an Advanced series option. As Don said all that it does on an Advanced series is set the time and location.