Register an account...

Need Help?

Meade Press Release - confirmation of bad news

Started by rumpledoll, 11/02/2007 12:32PM
Posted 11/02/2007 12:32PM Opening Post
See here:

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/primenewswire/130402.htm

Some important bits:

"...will transfer manufacturing and assembly of all high-end telescopes from its manufacturing operations in Irvine, California to lower cost locations. ... in Mexico or by its contract manufacturing partners in China."

"...is reducing its U.S. employee base by 60%, or approximately 120 employees. These employees consist primarily of manufacturing, selling and administrative personnel."

Philip
Posted 11/02/2007 12:50PM #1
That's too bad. I wonder how Hyundai can move plants to Alabama, how Kia can move plants to Georgia, how major Kia suppliers can built plants in Georgia, and how Kumho Tires can build a plant in Georgia. But, Mead and so many other American companies feel the need to move overseas. :S

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]
Posted 11/02/2007 02:09PM #2
That is sad, it means fewer jobs for Americans and more money being funneled overseas. I probably will not buy any more stuff from them, just due to this. I feel that it is up to us to make the manufacturers quit this practice. I do not think this is good for the country.

[SIZE="Large"][/SIZE][COLOR="Blue"][/COLOR] Floyd Blue grin
Amateur Imager
Posted 11/02/2007 06:55PM #3
Would not want to be one of the people to buy the last of the USA production runs. I'm sure the employees new it was coming and moral was at it's all time low, especially during rampdown! It's sad but probably to late to worry about it. I hope the Mexican and Chinese production workers can afford the scopes they produce, because there wont be many of us Americans working to afford them. cwy
Posted 11/08/2007 10:11AM #4
Maybe it is time for a US company to design and come up with a high quality SCT around f/12-13 with a good field flattener and reducer. The longer focal length would make it possible to have better optics. The C14 & C 9.25 f/11 all seem to perform better then the f/10 SCT's. Have mirror locking and feather touch secondary focuser on the rear cell separate from mirror movement. Go after the 10" to 20" market for viewing and imaging. I would be interested and pay a higher price for better optics and quality parts.

My 2 cents

Sam

Sam

samsastro.com
Posted 11/24/2007 02:49PM | Edited 11/24/2007 02:50PM #5
In their greed, Meade gobbled up the best thing going in Solar instrumentation for the amateur - Coronado - relocated their facility (most of us in the community new/felt that was a terrible move because of the attendant risk)...and now the other shoe has dropped. Nice going Meade!

url http://www.SPACEAHOLIC.com/

Scott

URL http://www.SPACEAHOLIC.com/

Preserving Space History for the Future