Image of the day

Captured by
Erwin Forbragd

Horsehead Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

A-P 130 StarFire Gran Turismo Quandary

Started by dwalton, 01/18/2010 12:03PM
Posted 01/18/2010 12:03PM | Edited 01/18/2010 12:05PM Opening Post
Hi everyone - I'm in a bit of a quandary. I received notification that my name has come up for delivery of a new 130mm StarFire Gran Turismo - after approx. a 9-10 year wait. Unfortunately, I'm currently not in any kind of position to buy the scope anytime soon. As I see it, my options are:

1. Take delivery, and then offer the scope either for sale or auction. This would perhaps allow someone who may not have the opportunity to wait for one to get this scope. Of course, it would also allow someone with the money to step to the front of the line, so to speak, for a premium. I have no idea how I'd handle this sale/auction, or if I'd need to declare myself as an Astromart vendor or dealer for this one-time sale/auction. Up until now, I've successfully sold a lot of merchandise on Astromart (not much in the last year or two though), and all of it's been just regular selling of used equipment, almost always at an expected loss to me.

2. Offer to sell it to someone at the price A-P is gonna sell it to me.

3. Decline the chance to buy the scope from A-P, and release my place on the waiting list to someone else.

Honestly, I don't want to get into a heated discussion here about the pros/cons/realities/ethics of reselling this scope at a profit - that's something that won't yield much, because there really is no "right" answer. Mostly I wanted to post this here in hopes that someone might give me something new to think about that isn't readily apparent to me. Thanks for keeping it friendly, and I look forward to your suggestions.

Cheers,
Doug
Posted 01/18/2010 12:24PM #1
Can't help you. I was called re: their mount about 6 months ago, and I just declined passing it to the next in line as my situation is also pinched.

But thanks...now I know I only have about 6 more years to wait for my A-P 130 Gran Turismo!

Posted 01/18/2010 12:51PM #2
Buy it, use it for a bit, then sell it here on A-mart for $500 extra.
Use that $500 to buy yourself a lifetime sponsorship here.
In this case, you get to use the scope, someone gets one at a reasonable premium, and A-mart gets the money. If that's not a win-win-win arrangement I don't know what is.
Posted 01/18/2010 02:38PM #3
..... there really is no "right" answer.....
Perhaps.
There is Meyer's Law, though:
"In any emotional conflict, the thing that you find the hardest to do is the thing that you should do." (John D. McDonald)

Works for me.

dan
Posted 01/18/2010 04:44PM #4
Doug Walton said:

Hi everyone - I'm in a bit of a quandary. I received notification that my name has come up for delivery of a new 130mm StarFire Gran Turismo - after approx. a 9-10 year wait. Unfortunately, I'm currently not in any kind of position to buy the scope anytime soon. As I see it, my options are:

Cheers,
Doug

Well you could do what about 10 other people on Astromart have done; which is buy it, put it up for sale at $1500 to $2000 over list, sell it here and pocket the cash. The difference being that they never discussed it with anyone in public beforehand, they just went ahead and did it.

or

You could do what an unknown number of others have done and decline to purchase it. This moves the wait list along a bit more each time it happens.

Posted 01/18/2010 05:06PM | Edited 01/18/2010 05:06PM #5
... them more I am thinking that I should construct an argument (for my wife) that this scope is really a special investment instrument - one that is much safer than the market has been. Then I would have it down the road when it could be real handy. For me to use it now, I'd need things I don't have: a mount and some other stuff - I liquidated much of my astro gear a while back.

I appreciate your responses so far.
Posted 01/22/2010 04:40PM #6
I guess I'm just gonna pass on the scope to the next person on the list. I had fantastical visions of selling it for $2K-$3K more than the list price, but all things considered, I'm not gonna try to do that. Thanks for your suggestions.