Which Dob would YOU get?

Started by lintonius, 03/16/2005 02:41AM
Posted 03/17/2005 10:24PM #10
Sorry, Linton, I don't have time to read ALL the replies, so I'll apologize in advance if I'm repeating what someone else has already said.

I don't think you'll see that much of a difference between a 12.5 and a 14.5. I would say go with the 18 or none at all.

I've often considered moving up from my 13.1", and I've decided the smallest I'd want to go up to would be an 18". But that's me.

Good luck,
Doug
Posted 03/20/2005 06:37AM #11
Linton,
I can see your concerns with buying a large aperture scope. I to have the same concerns. Large aperture scopes are a lot of money, this is the reason I can't buy one at this time. But that doesn't stop me from learning. I just finished watching a VHS tape sent to me by Obsession. The tape is about 90 minutes long and was very informative. I don't know if you have seen this video, but it might give you another perspective. Their 18" seems like it would do the trick for you. Not to big and bulky, easy set up and collimation, zenith views easily obtained with a small step up, fit and finish very nice, and reasonably priced. Not to mention a nice big mirror to see the faint stuff.

Clear skies,
Jay
Posted 03/20/2005 02:35PM #12
So I guess when it comes down to it the question is......In the 20" aperture range do I buy the Starmaster or the Obsession? Understand that if I were to buy the Obsession I would, with out a doubt, get the OMI Torus mirror. I have spent most of my life helping my father build reproductions of 18th century furniture and have to say I like craftsmanship of the Obsession better then the Starmaster. Also the Obsession is smaller in size and "looks" like it sets up faster. Putting the difference in mirrors aside, IMHO the Obsession is a better scope and the difference in price is huge (the Obsession being less money). We’re talking about a $1500 difference in price…..is the Zambuto mirror worth that kind of money?

Clear skies,
Jay Emirzian
Posted 03/21/2005 12:12AM #13
The Spacewalk scopes look very nice! Never saw one before.

Chas
Posted 03/21/2005 05:02AM #14
Harold Pollner said:

The three biggest wallet-emptiers in this hobby are:

Carl Zambuto

Rick Singmaster

David Kreige

H.P.

Al Nagler has gotten plenty of my pocket change!
Nate
Posted 03/30/2005 03:02AM | Edited 03/30/2005 03:04AM #15
Well, after much deliberation, I picked up the 14.5" Starmaster over the weekend. grin I will probably still get an 18" Obsession someday, but this seemed like the right thing to do at this point in time.
I had a few unanswered questions with the 18", for instance: Will it fit in the back of the new SUV that I have on order? (The one I ordered just so I can haul around my Astro gear.) wink

A big THANK YOU to all who contributed to my decision making process! Your collective knowledge and experience has been very helpful to me on this and many other topics.

Now, if we could just get some clear skies and good seeing, I'll get out and put that Zambuto to the test. 8)
Linton