Total Knee replacement, anyone have?

Started by mskulick, 07/19/2009 12:01PM
Posted 07/19/2009 12:01PM Opening Post
Hello to all,
Friday evening my wife brought me home from the hospital. My right knee was replaced on Monday, July 13. I have begun my stretching and exercise and the painful and long process of getting back on my feet. At age 55 and being a fairly big guy (210 lbs) I appreciate that it won't happen overnite. Last night was clear here, and I so wanted to get out of bed and use my crutches and at least go see Jupiter...
I can only imagine my wife's response to such an idea! 8O
Just home these two days and having to deal with the after-effects of the narcotics and pain meds, fever, chills, "wooden-head" has made me begin to wonder what the hell I got myself into...
Not looking for sympathy here, but hoping to hear some encouragements and maybe suggestions.

Clear skies and...
Best wishes,
-Mike

------------------------------
Posted 07/19/2009 12:49PM #1
My dad had a total knee in his 70's - he was able to get his golf score down below his age because of the new knee. It was a long process and a lot of physical therapy to heal but it has been worth it!

Another friend of mine (BIG guy, former semi-pro basketball player) did BOTH knees at once ("I'm such a chicken, I know if I have one done I'll never have the guts to do the other"). He also is doing very well.

Good luck and best wishes!
Posted 07/19/2009 03:37PM #2
After suffering with a bad knee for her entire adult life (doctors would tell her she was to young for a replacement)My Wife finally had it done a couple years ago. And things couldn't be better now! She is very happy she got it done.
Just keep flexing that knee and get as much swing as you can. And if anyone will get sympathy from me it will be your Wife! I mean "personal slave". I remember I was waiting on my Wife hand and foot! grin
Posted 07/20/2009 02:16AM #3
My wife, in her forties (I dare not say which one)had her left knee replaced after a couple of yrs of injections, etc. The recovery process is many months. Keep up the physical therapy, exercise, and your spirits. Your leg will get better.
Posted 07/23/2009 11:00PM | Edited 07/23/2009 11:00PM #4
You'll be jumping fences in no time. They have the technology... wink

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HofoK_QQxGc

[SIZE="Small"]------------
I have several telescopes, but none are semi-APO, APO, or in anyway valuable.
[/SIZE]