I agree with Mr Obama

Started by AstroMart, 04/07/2018 10:51PM

Poll Results:

0 Total Votes
Posted 08/17/2010 08:53PM #1
Posted 08/17/2010 09:31PM #2
That is not what Obama said.....
Posted 08/17/2010 10:14PM #3
I vote in about 90% of these little polls and every once in awhile I don't because I get hung up on a semantic issue. I think it's OK if they want to put a Mosque near ground zero, but because I think ALL organized religions are nonsense I can't vote for "should". BTW, the Mosque in question is not at ground zero, but two blocks away. So, how far away is far enough? There has been another Mosque about 5 blocks away for 40 years. Unless you are in favor of rewriting the constitution then the government should have no say in what gets built there based solely on religion.
Posted 08/17/2010 10:56PM #4
Building a Mosque Ground Zero is simply idiotic. Yes I know they have the RIGHT to build it there, this is a free country, but whats wrong in this country is nobody is using common sense anymore and building it there is not using good common sense.Maybe if some NYC firefighter bombs the mosque on a Friday afternoon, them this country will finally wake up and go back to using common sense, not just screaming "I have Rights".
Posted 08/17/2010 11:30PM | Edited 08/17/2010 11:32PM #5
I worked on Wall Street for many years and even shopped several times at that Burlington Coat Factory. It is not at Ground Zero, people! It is at least two blocks away, if not more. Everyone is reacting like there is going to be some grand mosque built on the ruins of the WTC - not true. What I find most hilarious is the same people who blather on about private property rights and ending government interference are the same ones wanting government interference in private property rights in this case.

I have no love for Islam or any organized religion for that matter, but if we are truly a free society then they should be able to build their Islamic cultural center, just as we should permit construction of a Catholic school, Scientology brainwashing camp or anything else. Geez people, worry about a real issue like the economy!

I would like to add that a sitting president is always referred to as President not Mr. as a matter of respect whether we agree with them or not.

-Matt
Posted 08/18/2010 12:19AM | Edited 08/18/2010 12:20AM #6
"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will execute the Office of President of the United States faithfully, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. So help me God"

the constitution says this:
"Amendment 1 - Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

I can't recall the President Obama advocating the construction of any mosque. He never said should...

The way the poll is presented is really disrespectful
not only to the President Obama but also to the truth.
Posted 08/18/2010 02:42AM | Edited 08/18/2010 02:44AM #7
I think the issue here is why the President of the United States has to address a NYC issue that has nothing to do with him personally.
I worked in the #2 WTC building for over 5 years and it was a wonderful place to work. It was like woking in the UN building with all of
the world visitors enjoying that wonderful place. It will not be forgotten. Those Americans and world visitors who lost their lives in the buildings, on the planes that hit it (except for those murderers) and the heroes who gave their lives that day, and years later with lung issues, etc. will be honored forever in our hearts as American heroes.

A Mosque being built blocks away from this special place is not the issue. It is how the President made this a "World" issue by grand standing and using
this as a means of shear politics that is disturbing. He brought this to the "world stage" which is making New Yorkers look seem like hate mongers and unrespectful of a religious edifice to be built in NYC. NYC has more diverse religious edifices than anywhere I've ever visited. They are all tolerated and respected. New Yorkers are extremely resilient and very understanding. We all work together which makes NYC special.
Shame on those "outsiders" who denigrate those New York citizens who are speaking their minds after such a horror which happened only a few years ago. I was there just across the river when the towers were destroyed and will never forget that horrible image and will also remember how we all worked together as brothers and sisters in NYC for months after that tragedy.

The President should be praising New Yorkers and not embarassing them on the world stage like he did. sad

10" Teleport (R2D2 Jr.)
Celestron Evolution 60th Ann
Canon IS 10x30 bino
Starbase80
E.S. Voyager
Explore Scientific ep's
Wonderful Rescued Greyhound  grin
(Understanding Wife)  wink 
Posted 08/18/2010 02:50AM #8
We'll probably never agree on politics but I love Astromart. Long live Herb and Amart! BTW I always called him President Bush.

-Matt
Posted 08/18/2010 03:38AM #9
Spit on the faces of our forefathers and take a big stinky dump on the bill of rights and the constitution.... >sad

hate Obama all y'all want, but not all muslims are bad, murderous villains.

It is what it is...