New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

The new administration ....

Started by AstroMart, 04/07/2018 10:51PM

Poll Results:

0 Total Votes
Posted 03/08/2009 03:57AM | Edited 03/08/2009 03:58AM #20
Mitt was Governor of my state and he was never around nor did he do anything for us. Not only that but he changed his color so many times he was bleached out. Being Govenor was just a stepping stone for higher office, which I'm glad he didn't make.
Posted 03/08/2009 05:40AM #21
Okay, here's one. It even retains the familiar binary, loaded, un-nuanced nature of the possible responses:

"On this web site which is devoted to astronomy and the hobby of amateur astronomy, do political polls have any proper place whatsoever, or add anything of value to the site or its mission?"

"Yes, I like to see my fellow amateurs tear into each other over issues which they probably don't really know much about and which are wholly irrelevant to astronomy."

"No, such polls resolve nothing, and only foster a needless air of division and acrimony among amateur astronomers."

I vote no. I realize this is your sandbox, but if you want to provoke arguments about politics, I think there are other, more appropriate places to do so.

Joe Bergeron

Moderator, Astro-Physics Forum
Posted 03/08/2009 03:14PM #22
Good thing this isn't your sandbox then isn't it? Oh wise one that has slammed many people here... I guess the "appropriate" places are those where you are anonymous?

Joe Bergeron said:

Okay, here's one. It even retains the familiar binary, loaded, un-nuanced nature of the possible responses:

"On this web site which is devoted to astronomy and the hobby of amateur astronomy, do political polls have any proper place whatsoever, or add anything of value to the site or its mission?"

"Yes, I like to see my fellow amateurs tear into each other over issues which they probably don't really know much about and which are wholly irrelevant to astronomy."

"No, such polls resolve nothing, and only foster a needless air of division and acrimony among amateur astronomers."

I vote no. I realize this is your sandbox, but if you want to provoke arguments about politics, I think there are other, more appropriate places to do so.
Posted 03/08/2009 03:14PM #23
That manager has not been honest to you. He probably was venting out some frustration. I have been in Europe for a long time and labour laws are very similar to US.
People can be laid off for shrinking bussiness, relocation of bussiness, redundancy
etc.. or can be very well fired for negligence.
Neatherland is one of the European leading economies with a very respectable 2% growth that has been attracting foreign investors for years.
In 2007 neatherlands economic growth was 3.5%, while US was only 0.6%.
It has (or had) very low unemployment, a surplus and healthcare guaranteed for everybody.
Posted 03/08/2009 05:13PM | Edited 03/08/2009 05:22PM #24
Is that really the best you can do? It's always such a pleasure to receive your blinkered attention, Jeffrey.

Joe Bergeron

Moderator, Astro-Physics Forum