NGC4216 with supernova 2024gy

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Sometimes, it's better that you...

Started by ecdon, 03/14/2005 03:31AM
Posted 03/14/2005 03:31AM | Edited 03/14/2005 03:33AM Opening Post
Just stay home and go to bed! :S Yesterday morning, I decided that I would make the 45 minute trip to my darksky site, so I packed up the gear, headed east at 9am, setup my equipment, headed back home so I could attend my sons baseball game at 3pm. As soon as the game finished (his team won.. smile ), I made a beeline back to the site, noticing on the way that the skies had turned hazy and it looked like heavy fog to the south...ignoring these warnings, I arrived at the site just before dark. The skies were transparent and steady, but you could feel the moisture in the air. polar alignment and drift alignments done,dew heater set to medium, I took off to shoot M65...no guide star! Spent an hour working on finding one...When I finally found one, the galaxy was shifted to the left of the chip, but the galaxy was still there. Noticing that each test image seemed to get a little less clearer, I checked the corrector...MAJOR DEW! Out came the blow dryer...with the corrector cleared, I went back to M65...Guiding in RA was horrible...I would run at sub arc second for a few itterations, then make huge jumps...It seemed to settle down, so off to shoot I went..After 5 15 minute sub exposures, the fog had rolled in and here is the result... Turns out, dew had formed again, even with the heater running at full force...oh, did I mention I forgot to bring the dew shield?
Some nights, one should just stay in bed.... :S
Don Spencer
Almost forgot...I also forgot to turn the cooler on on the camera..DOAH!

Attached Image:

ecdon's attachment for post 22873

Don Spencer
http://members.cox.net/ecdon/astrophotography.html
Posted 03/14/2005 04:18AM #1
Nice story Don! It's good to hear that others experience my "normal" routine on occasion. I think we all have had those nights. I wish you better fortune on your next excursion. wink

"The expression of the beautiful is in direct ratio to the power of perception acquired by the artist." (Gustave Courbet)
Posted 03/14/2005 04:22AM #2
Hey man, I feel your pain!

Tom

Starsearch Observatory
Lat 42N 47' 00" Long 112W 10' 47"
Elev 1752m
www.tvdavisastropics.com
Posted 03/14/2005 02:11PM #3
LOL, not too shabby Don, specially considering THE DEW! wink
We don't get to enjoy DEWED UP shots too often, it's good to change "the trend" every once in a while... 8)

Thanks for sharing!

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator