wonderfully story

Started by RUSTY845, 11/22/2005 11:13PM
Posted 11/22/2005 11:13PM Opening Post
Hi All; I have a wonderfully story for you. Last your for Christmas My wife and I got our 10 year old daughter an Orion 10" Dob. From the first night out she was hooked, and with in week she was asking her Girl Scout leader if they could do an astronomy event. Well last night her wish came true.

Lase night she hosted 60 Girl Scouts and leaders at an astronomy event held at our Town Hall here in Warwick, NY. She gave out Orion Star Target Planispheres, star charts, and other goodys. My daughter Caroline talked to the kids about why we use red lights when we are out looking at the stars, and showed them how her telescope works.

But the best part was that she had arranged for Jim Burnell thats right Jim Burnell of "The hand book of Astronomical Image Processing, and Astronomical Image Prossing for windows" Fame and Joe Stefaniak co-founder of the Orange County (ny) Astronomical Association to give the talk, and what a job they did. For all most 2 1/2 hr. they covered the hole gambit from constellations and where the names came from, to globular clusters, Neb's, galaxys, and how a telescope and mounts work. What a treat it was.

This is a two part event, and next the girls will be going to Joe's observatory where Jim Burnell and members of the Orange County Astronomical Association along with Dave Barrett from high Point Scientific will host a star party for the Girls. Dave Barrett will be bringing his 24" Dob and Jim, Joe and the members of OCAA will also be setting up for a night of star gazing. Boy what a lucky Dad I am to have Jim Burnell Dave Barrett and Joe Stefaniak to show my 11 year old daughter the ropes. I'm glad I have a daughter like you Caroline.

Thank you Jim, Joe, Dave, and the members of OCAA for helping Caroline to show the wonders of the sky to the Girl Scouts of Warwick, NY.

Bob Moore

R.A.C. Advisory Committee
NEAIC Co-Chairman
NEAF Advisory Committee

http://www.deer-pond-observatory.com
Warwick, New York
41.15984 -74.2541

[B]Takahashi MT 160

10" F4.5 Newt 8O
R200SS grin
Some kind of 127mm APO

Orion Atlas EQ-G
Losmandy G11 with Gemini
iOptron Mimi Tower
iOptrom Cube Pro

Meade DSI PRO II 8O
SBIG ST-10ME
Image Source 21AU04.AS

Posted 11/23/2005 02:09PM #1
That's wonderful Bob! 8)
Thank you for sharing!

Clear skies!

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 11/23/2005 02:16PM #2
It sounds like the event was a great success. I would guess that your daughter is hooked for life! smile

"The expression of the beautiful is in direct ratio to the power of perception acquired by the artist." (Gustave Courbet)