ATWB Customer Gallery

Iris Nebula

My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Started by Mark229, 12/18/2009 09:25PM
Posted 12/18/2009 09:25PM Opening Post
Just saw it with my elder son. We both enjoyed it. I think that an XBox game will make millions. The plot is a bit "Dances With Wolves", the native aliens being pre-industry, "at one with nature". So, even tho the story line is familiar, the fantastic visuals-lots of computer generated-will make the movie a hit. The alien world's flora and fauna were great. The humanoids had enough "humanity" that they could be related to, yet still be "exotic". I think that the Native Americans will be heard from, comparing their experience with the aliens in the movie. I predict lots of awards and lots of money will be made.
Posted 12/19/2009 02:31PM #1
Hmmmm- let's see, Native Americans just settled for pennies on the dollar with the US Government, in a case about mismanagement of Indian properties and billions they were bilked out of over a century, because that was the best they could get, even under the supposed ultraliberal current administration.

Something tells me that this won't be the case with the profits of the movie and its spinoff products.

The ripoff never ends, does it...?

Jess Tauber
Posted 01/25/2010 11:20AM | Edited 01/26/2010 10:16PM #2
My wife and I finally saw Avatar at a Sunday afternoon matinee. My wife wasn't interested in seeing it but a coworker highly recommended it to her recently and she changed her mind.

As many people have said, the going native plot left a bit to be desired. Aside from that, there were just too many anthropomorphisms involved for my taste. Wasn't it just a bit insulting to have the Na'vi yip and wear war-paint like American Indians in a bad Western? Not to mention their emotional responses, culture, and the all-too-human looking hands and feet, of course. Then there were the easily recognizable Pandorian wild dog, horse, and predator feline analogs. Very few science fiction films have successfully portraited aliens as being truly alien and it seems to me that Mr. Cameron made no effort to do so, audience identification being too important when it comes to ticket sales, perhaps.

Does anyone really think that male executives will be wearing dress shirts and neckties 140 plus years in the future? Weaponry apparently hadn't advanced much from the present day by that time either. The military tactics of the mercenary force were hardly brilliant. I suppose that The Return of the Jedi should be added to the list of Avatar film influences.

As far as the 3-D was concerned, it was a rather mixed-bag for me. In the beginning of the movie, with the action taking place in the evil corporate base, it almost made me dizzy and I've seen my fair share of 3-D movies. (I'm not alone in feeling this way.) Maybe the jarring effect was intentional to contrast evil human technology with the unspoiled, albeit deadly, environment of the noble savages. wink (The video display screens floating in space were rather neat though.) After the avatars entered the forest, the 3-D was far more "immersive" and the movie was truly beautiful at times. I never felt that any of the scenes were done purely for 3-D thrills.

All in all, I felt Avatar was worth seeing, despite its flaws and very predictable ending. It will very shortly top Titantic at the old box office. I have to admire the way James Cameron gambled on having a megahit to cover the film's huge production costs and ended up pulling it off.

http://www.examiner.com/x-15972-Raleigh-Pop-Culture-Examiner~y2010m1d24-Avatar-to-surpass-Titanic-at-the-box-office-tomorrow-video

http://boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=avatar.htm

Dave Mitsky

Chance favors the prepared mind.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
Posted 01/27/2010 03:55AM #3
Just got around to seeing it. Very entertaining. In terms of the visuals a real WOW! But they could earn an Oscar for most unoriginal script. Still a much, much better movie then "It's Complicated" which my wife insisted we see. It would be better titled: It's Boring.
Posted 05/30/2010 02:42PM #4
But why the title "Avatar"? What does this movie have to do with Avatars?