My Account

New to Astromart?

Register an account...

Need Help?

Saturn RGB image w/ATIK-2HS & 4" APO

Started by trek2100, 02/03/2005 03:27PM
Posted 02/03/2005 03:27PM Opening Post
Hi All,

On Tuesday we had some of the that rare 4/5 seeing and tranparency. Lucky for me the ATIK-2HS i bought from a fellow amarter (thanks Doug!) showed up the day before along with a set of new Astronomik type 2 LRGB filter and a holder. Monday was like Christmas only better. I set up my rig in the normal manner for webcam imaging and shot 2 avis for every color plus luminance. I didnt have much information in the way of proper protocol for settings and workflow, but i thought i did ok with it so far. This is the best Saturn image i have taken with my SV-102 apo. I used a 2.5x powermate stacked in a 2x barlow. I plan to purchase a 5x powermate real soon! One mistake i made during capture was to change the gain setting during the colored filter phase. So my color balance is off a bit. I tried hard to restore it with hue and saturation settings. This is the best i could do with it. I found out yesterday that you have to leave the gain settings the same for the colored filters, but changing the Lum is ok. The settings i used were 1/25 sec, 10fps, 50% bright (the gain i adjusted per filter as mentioned). I ran the final image thru Neat Image to clean it up a little too.

Like many i who have posted about this, i am a rank amature at RGB imaging. However this is a very exciting and im pleased with the results vs the ToUcam. For my small aperture, the extra sensitivty of the monochrome camera will give me better results than the ToUcam. I just need to learn how to do it right!

Thanks for looking

Attached Image:

trek2100's attachment for post 21983

John Krawczyk
Crownsville, MD

http://www.ardenastrophotography.com
Posted 02/03/2005 03:28PM #1
Wonderful image John!
Looks very promising indeed!

Looking forward to your next shots! wink
Clear skies!

Ivan Gastaldo 8)
Coconut Creek, FL

Ivan's Observatory
Lat 26N 16' 48" Long 80W 10' 48"
[COLOR="Red"]Personal Website:[/COLOR] http://www.ivangastaldo.com

CCD Imaging and Processing/Deep Sky - Moderator
I like to complain about everything - Moderator
Posted 02/03/2005 04:34PM #2
John,

If your previous message to me didn't register (it did), this one has me convinced I am on the right track with the Atik Camera. I plan to order at least two more filter holders soon so I can do RGB in a quick fashion. I took note of your info so I can learn from it. I don't know when I'll get the camera, but plan to post something as soon as I can, even if it is only B&W.

This sounds exciting!!
Paul Maxson

Paul Maxson
Moderator - CCD Imaging and Processing/Solar System
Celestron C14, Mewlon 250, Orion EON120, ASI120MM, Flea3.
http://www.sunspot51.com
Posted 02/03/2005 04:59PM #3
Hi John,

That's a great image, especially for a 4" APO.
I'd love to get one of those ATIK camera's but I'm still just a newbie in regards to imaging(less than one years expierience). Maybe when I've done all I can with the ToUcam I'll upgrade.

Clear skies,

Ed Roach
Posted 02/03/2005 07:10PM #4
Oh boy, that's beautiful!! Excellent job.
Perhaps yop could e-mail me directly and go through ecactly how you did this, with which exact filters and how you put the inages together. I'm pretty dense but if you go slow and don't expect I understand anything then, maybe, just maybe I'll get it.
Congratulations again on a Very Nice image.

Jim Phillips
Posted 02/05/2005 02:16PM #5
Hi John,

Beautiful Saturn, maybe the best I have seen from a 4 inch scope.

Thanks,

Wes Higgins